SFPE Appoints 2017 Board of Directors
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
GAITHERSBURG, Maryland, January 18, 2017 — The Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE)TM has announced its 2017 board of directors, comprised of 14 executives from the fire protection engineering industry who represent a cross-section of its member companies.
The SFPE board of directors is responsible for maintaining the organization’s commitment to defining, developing, and advancing the use of engineering best practices; expanding the scientific and technical knowledge base; and educating the global fire safety community to reduce fire risk.
“SFPE’s board members accurately reflect our membership, which is comprised of the world’s top experts in engineering, design, education and research,” says Paul Rivers, P.E., FSFPE, senior fire protection specialist, 3M Company, and new president of SFPE. “The board will continue championing the information, discussion, education, training, and products that allow our members to create effective solutions to fire-related challenges.”
In addition to the board members who were elected and announced earlier in the year, there were two vacancies created by the election of JC Harrington to president-elect and Victoria Valentine who resigned from the board to accept a staff position at the Society. In accordance with the SFPE Constitution and Bylaws, Article VIII, Section 9, the board of directors appointed Armelle Muller and Michael Strömgren to fill those two vacancies until the next election. The 2017 board of directors includes:
Officers and Executive Committee
- President — Paul E. Rivers, P.E., FSFPE, senior fire protection specialist, 3M Company
- President-Elect — John “JC” Harrington, P.E., FSFPE, assistant vice president, FM Global
- Secretary-Treasurer — Jack Poole, P.E., FSFPE, principal, Poole Fire Protection
- Immediate Past President — Milosh Puchovsky, P.E., FSFPE, professor of practice, WPI
- Ex-Officio — Nicole Boston, CAE, chief executive officer, SFPE
- Daniel L. Arnold, P.E., FSFPE, managing partner, Seneca Fire Engineering
- John D. Campbell, P.E., P.Eng., executive vice president engineering, Global Fire Protection Group
- W.K. Chow, Ph.D., FSFPE, chair, professor of architectural science and fire engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Michael A. Crowley, P.E., FSFPE, vice president, Jensen Hughes
- Stephen Kerber, P.E., research director, Underwriters Laboratories
- Amanda Kimball, P.E., senior project manager, Fire Protection Research Foundation
- Armelle Muller, director of fire laboratory, CNPP Entreprise, France
- Michael Strömgren, research scientist, RISE Research Fire Institutes of Sweden
- Beth Tubbs, P.E., FSFPE, senior staff engineer, codes and standards development, International Code Council
Rivers says he is looking forward to a very productive year with the new SFPE board now in place. “With our international conferences in 2017 and focus on global expansion, the new board represents the diversity of thought and cultural background to advance the SFPE mission around the world,” he adds.
Established in 1950, the Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE)TM is the global professional society representing those practicing in the field of fire protection engineering. SFPE has over 4,300 members, 69 regional and local chapters, and 15 student chapters worldwide. SFPE advances the science and practice of fire protection engineering and its allied fields, maintains a high ethical standard among its members, and fosters fire protection engineering education. SFPE supports the development of the annual Professional Engineer (P.E.) licensing exam in fire protection and the grading of those exams under the auspices of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). Learn more at www.sfpe.org.