Perspective Series sponsored Webinars
SFPE periodically offers Perspective Series webinars which are sponsored and presented by industry partners. Perspective Series webinars are available to anyone interested; SFPE members can earn PDHs for participating. Please check back frequently to view upcoming Perspective Series webinars, or sign up to receive email notifications as new events are added.
Interested in sponsoring a Perspective Series webinar? Please contact Brian Marks, Media and Event Sales, at 410.316.9855 or email@example.com.
Earn Continuing Education
Professional Development Hours (PDHs) are only granted to SFPE members who attend the live webinar and are logged in for 50 minutes longer.
Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:00 am Eastern Time (-04:00 GMT)
Protecting Your Cloud with Mist
High Pressure Water Mist – an Advanced Fire Protection Alternative, for Future Data Centers
PRESENTED BY JONATHAN G. INGRAM, B.S.E.E., VERTICAL MARKET MANAGER - MISSION CRITICAL, MARIOFF
Data is the “new oil” that keeps businesses running. The already enormous amount of data we produce and consume is growing exponentially every year. Businesses, organizations and individuals have all become dependent on digital data. This has led to an increased demand for large data centers. A large data center contains dozens of server rows; with hundreds of miles/kilometers of power and data cables connecting the servers online and to power sources. The energy density per rack has risen, so inevitably the fire risk is more significant.
In this presentation we will take a look at how high pressure watermist fire protection works and what key attributes it consists of.
Key takeaways of the presentation:
- Water is discharged only to the area of fire, not to the entire data hall subsequently preventing flooding of the premises.
- High pressure watermist uses significantly less water compared to traditional sprinkler systems.
- Cooling is also more efficient in comparison to traditional sprinklers or low pressure water mist systems.
- Water mist can provide total protection for all spaces within the data center building envelope.
- Water mist fire protection can also be used in office areas where personnel are located. And water mist offers an excellent choice in fighting fire in technical areas with back-up generators, transformers and UPS’s.
- Any expansions of the site can be done easily and efficiently just by adding pipes, valves and high pressure/thermally operated sprinkler heads to new areas supported by the original pump-set. This scalability is especially beneficial in data centers that are built in phases.
Recordings of previous webinars are available here.