SFPE Names Louis Guerrazzi New Manager of Professional Practice
Tuesday, January 23, 2018
GAITHERSBURG, Maryland, January 23, 2018 — The Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE) announced the appointment of Louis J. Guerrazzi, EIT, as manager, professional practice. In this new role, Louis will oversee SFPE initiatives in promoting higher education activities, developing student outreach programs, and overseeing the Code of Ethics. Louis will also work to bridge the gap between the fire service and fire protection engineering, working with the public policies related to fire protection engineering, and leading efforts in residential fire protection projects.
"I am excited to welcome Louis to SFPE and am looking forward to building on his experience to broaden our reach and efforts," says Nicole Boston, CAE, SFPE’s CEO. “Over the past four years, the Society has grown significantly, and Louis’s engineering background will enable us to deliver more programs and services to our members and the profession.”
Guerrazzi comes to SFPE from the National Fire Sprinkler Association, where he was manager of product standards, as well as webmaster and staff engineer, since 2014. He is earning his master’s in engineering in fire protection engineering from the University of Maryland, College Park, A. James Clark School of Engineering; has a BS in electrical engineering from Binghamton University, Watson School of Engineering Science; and an associate’s degree in liberal arts/mathematics from Dutchess Community College (Poughkeepsie, NY). He has served on several NFPA, UL STPs and ISO/USTAG technical committees and chaired the AWWA Fire Protection technical committee.
Guerrazzi’s specific responsibilities at SFPE will include:
- Higher education – serve as staff liaison to the SFPE Higher Education subcommittee in developing model curricula content documents and serve on advisory boards for college-level fire protection program; represent SFPE on the ABET Board of Delegates, Engineering Delegation & Engineering Technology Delegation; lead development of programs and materials to promote career opportunities in the profession.
- Professional Ethics and Standard of Conduct – serve as staff liaison to the Professional Ethics and Standard of Conduct Subcommittee; support efforts to establish and promote the profession’s Code of Ethics; provide impartial evaluations of questions about ethics.
- Outreach and Advocacy – work to advance recognition of the profession; increase public awareness of the profession and its services; provide guidance on reaching out to the public, allied professionals, industry members, and code enforcement community; serve as staff liaison to Fire Service Subcommittee, task group on Student Outreach, task group on Public Policy, and Residential Fire and Life Safety.
- Professional Development – help develop world-leading conferences and education programs by serving on program committees for all SFPE conferences and symposia, working on webinars, making presentations at industry conferences, working with course development and content to maintain SFPE as leader in fire protection education; and serving as a course instructor.
Contact Louis Guerrazzi
- Technical Services – maintain technical areas of expertise; participate on committees to develop standards; and develop material for members.
Direct line: +1 301-915-9729