SFPE 2019 Candidate Slate
Tuesday, July 31, 2018
To: SFPE Membership
From: Jack Poole, SFPE 2018 Secretary-Treasurer
The 2018 Nominating Committee, comprised of Paul Rivers (Chair), Russell Bainbridge, Jonathan Barnett, Wayne Moore, Michael Strömgren, and Christopher Wieczorek have completed their work. They are submitting to the SFPE membership the following candidates for the 2019 Board of Directors and Nominating Committee.
All applications of nominees were reviewed and acted upon by the Nominating Committee in accordance with the applicable provisions of the SFPE Standing Rules for the positions sought. More specifically the applicants were reviewed with respect to:
- SFPE membership grade status of Professional Member or Fellow.
- Demonstrated leadership commitment and involvement with SFPE and the Profession. Examples include service on an SFPE Committee or a Chapter Leadership position.
- Recognition as a leader in the fire protection community. Examples include executive positions in organizations and companies, engagement with other allied societies or organizations, and outstanding service on a fire safety technical committee.
- Relevant experience in organizational management. Examples include service on other Boards, and experience in strategic planning, operations, branding, fund raising, finance, global operations, and strategic alliances.
- SFPE values and seeks diverse leadership as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, geography, professional level, etc. SFPE seeks leaders from all types and sizes of organizations.
- Commitment to participate in up to three face-to-face meetings, one of which will be outside of the U.S., and up to 10 virtual meetings per year. Terms of service are for three years, and begin on January 1.
- Positive leadership attributes, and ability to work collaboratively and engage in appropriate debate and discussion when needed.
- Visionary and strategic thinking. Demonstrated ability in developing and implementing new and innovative programs within their sphere of influence. Examples include incorporating strategy, leadership, future focus, risk taking, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Board of Directors Candidates
2019 President-Elect (one-year term)
2019 Secretary-Treasurer (one-year term)
2019 Board of Directors (three to be elected to a three-year term)
- Daniel Arnold (USA)
- Paul Hart (USA)
- Jimmy Jönsson (Spain)
- Anthony Militello (USA)
- Ali Mokhtar (Saudi Arabia)
- Beth Tubbs (USA)
- Christopher Wood (USA)
The ballot will be sent out electronically on Wednesday, October 3, 2018 and will include photos, background information and statements from all of the candidates. Voting will be open for 30 days and will end on Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM US Eastern Time. In accordance with the SFPE Constitution and Bylaws, each member in good standing as of October 3, 2018 (which means dues are paid in full) will be entitled to select one nominee for 2019 President-Elect, one nominee for 2019 Secretary-Treasurer, up to three nominees to serve as members of the Board of Directors (the three candidates with the greatest number of votes will be elected to the class of 2019 (3 year term), and up to three nominees for the 2019 Nominating Committee. Please be sure to check and ensure that you are a member in good standing prior to October 3, 2018 and that we have a valid email address on file. Individuals who are not in good standing as of October 3, 2018, or who do not have a valid email address on file, will not be eligible to vote in this election. The results of this election will be announced to the membership no later than November 10, 2018.
The Board of Directors believes that the SFPE is better served by having a Board which reflects the diversity of our membership. Accordingly, please consider business sector, gender and geography when selecting members for the Board of Directors.
Specifically, it is important that the Board have representation from the various business sectors of our membership to address the various professional practice needs of our members. It is important that the Board have representation by gender to better understand the needs of women in our profession so that SFPE can attract and maintain members in this demographic. It is also important that the Board be represented geographically by having members from outside of the United States so that SFPE leadership is attuned to the current and future needs of such members which will lead to the long-term growth of the organization.
Members have the privilege and responsibility of voting for nominees or candidates of their choice. The Board of Directors has adopted campaign rules, which apply to this election process, and can be found in SFPE's Standing Rules. Campaigning for any office following the announcement of candidates is prohibited. Only official information about the nominees or candidates from SFPE is allowed. Campaigning and campaign materials include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Personal email or postal correspondence which asks chapters for their assistance or support during the election;
- Distribution of books, pamphlets, resumes, photographs, other printed materials, ribbons, buttons, or trinkets which includes the nominee's or candidate's name during the election cycle;
- Presentations or speeches which ask the chapters or individuals for their assistance or support during the election.
These Rules apply to not only the nominees or candidates, but other members or surrogates who may be acting on behalf of a nominee or candidate. During any election cycle, it is prudent that candidates and other members refrain from any correspondence, speeches or distribution of any materials which potentially could be deemed as campaigning.
The SFPE Board of Directors has the sole responsibility to determine if a violation has taken place, and to determine the penalty of any candidate for SFPE office who violates the procedures. The range of penalties can include, but is not limited to, removal from the ballot regardless of the outcome of votes cast, to being banned from all future elections for any office.
In accordance with the SFPE Constitution and Bylaws and Standing Rules, additional nominations for any officer or director position may be made by written petition signed by 5% of members in good standing and received by the Secretary-Treasurer not later than September 1 at 5:00 PM US Eastern Time. Petitions should be submitted to Jack Poole at firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that per SFPE rules, the petition process is only applicable to Board of Directors candidates.
2019 Nominating Committee (three to be elected to a one-year term)
- Ralph Foster (USA)
- Ray Grill (USA)
- Renato Molina (USA)
- Leonard Ramo (USA)