The 4th edition of SFPE’s Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) Examination in Fire Protection Engineering covers all of the technical subjects on the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying exam specification. This specification is effective beginning with the October 2018 examinations. Topics covered include:
- Fire Protection Analysis – Types
- Fire Protection Analysis – Information Sources
- Fire Protection Management
- Fire Dynamics
- Active and Passive Systems - Water-Based Suppression Systems
- Active and Passive Systems - Special Hazard Systems
- Active and Passive Systems - Fire Detection and Alarm Systems
- Active and Passive Systems - Smoke Management Systems
- Active and Passive Systems - Explosion Protection and Prevention Systems
- Active and Passive Systems - Passive Building Systems
- Egress and Occupant Movement - Means of Egress
- Egress and Occupant Movement – Human Behavior
The Reference Manual includes sample exercises on concepts that may be encountered in the PE exam. Also included are objectively scored timed sample problems that are equivalent to PE exam problems in length and difficulty. The answers to all of these exercises and problems are published in the companion Answer Manual.
Examples giving in the Reference Manual that refer to the 4th edition of the Handbook have been updated in this document for the new 5th edition Handbook. Unfortunately the 4th edition of the Handbook has been phased out.