SFPE needs you! This is an opportunity for SFPE members to help lead the premier organization dedicated to promoting and supporting the practice of fire protection and fire safety engineering worldwide. SFPE is currently seeking candidates to serve in leadership positions on its Board of Directors beginning in 2018.
The benefits of serving include:
- A significant high profile leadership role in advancing your profession;
- An opportunity to enhance the value and influence of SFPE globally;
- Professional development through the exchange of ideas and perspectives with other volunteer leaders; and,
- Access to up-to-date information about the profession.
The Society is a global organization and thus a Board of Directors comprised of individuals representative of this broad and diverse scope is critical for the long-term success of our organization. This aspect of board composition is particularly important for this election cycle as two current directors from outside the U.S. have terms expiring. The Board of Directors encourages nominations from our international members to best assure that future Boards will possess the proper perspective and experience when addressing the evolving global issues facing our practice and profession.
The Board of Directors has identified a number of desired attributes that will be part of the selection process for new Board members:
- SFPE membership grade status of Professional Member or Fellow.
- Demonstrated leadership commitment and involvement with SFPE and the Profession. Examples include service on an SFPE Committee or a Chapter Leadership position.
- Recognition as a leader in the fire protection community. Examples include executive positions in organizations and companies, engagement with other allied societies or organizations, and outstanding service on a fire safety technical committee.
- Relevant experience in organizational management. Examples include service on other Boards, and experience in strategic planning, operations, branding, fund raising, finance, global operations, and strategic alliances.
- SFPE values and seeks diverse leadership as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, geography, professional level, etc. SFPE seeks leaders from all types and sizes of organizations.
- Commitment to participate in up to three face-to-face meetings, one of which will be outside of the U.S., and up to 10 virtual meetings per year. Terms of service are for three years, and begin on January 1.
- Positive leadership attributes, and ability to work collaboratively and engage in appropriate debate and discussion when needed.
- Visionary and strategic thinking. Demonstrated ability in developing and implementing new and innovative programs within their sphere of influence. Examples include incorporating strategy, leadership, future focus, risk taking, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Individuals interested in serving on the Board of Directors beginning in January 2018 and meets the desired attributes must complete and submit the 2017 Board of Directors’ Nomination Form and a color head shot photo to be included on the ballot, if selected as a nominee. These two items must be sent to Nicole Testa Boston at email@example.com no later than May 31, 2017.
Paul Rivers, P.E., FSFPE
Jack Poole, P.E., FSFPE