The John L. Bryan Award, established in 2007, is in recognition of John L. Bryan and his more than fifty years of commitment and dedication to educating and mentoring students and practicing fire protection engineers. This award is presented to an individual who exemplifies commitment and dedication to educating, training and advising fire protection engineers. The recipients are recognized for freely and unselfishly providing their expertise to other individuals in order to assist them in enhancing their education, advancing their careers, and expanding their experience and knowledge in fire protection engineering.
Widely known as "Prof" to his students, Bryan served for 37 years as a professor and the first chairman of the Department of Fire Protection Engineering at the University of Maryland. He was named professor emeritus upon his retirement in 1993. Bryan received B.S. and M.S. degrees from Oklahoma State University and a doctorate from The American University.
While internationally recognized for his work on the subject of human behavior, Bryan's greatest legacy has been the fire protection engineers he has instructed and who now serve the profession around the globe.
Alana MacLellan-Bonnell, PEng
- Alana MacLellan-Bonnell, PEng (2020)
- Tom Christman, FSFPE (2019)
- Pat D. Brock, FSFPE (2018)
- David M. Banwarth, PE,CBO (2017)
- Jack Poole, PE, FSFPE (2016)
- Frederick W. Mowrer, PhD, PE, FSFPE (2015)
- William E. Koffel, Jr., PE, FSFPE (2014)
- David A. Lucht, PE, FSFPE (2013)
- Robert Jonsson, FSFPE (2012)
- W.K. Chow, PhD, FSFPE (2011)
- William A. Webb, PE, FSFPE (2010)
- James A. Milke, PhD, PE, FSFPE (2009)
- Harold E. "Bud" Nelson, PE, FSFPE (2008)
- Professor John Bryan, FSFPE (2007)