Presenter: Rick Jeffress ARM, CET, CFPS, CHRS Director, Business Development
Sponsored by: Fike Corporation
Fiber optic sensing technology, specifically Fiber Optic Linear Heat Detection (FO LHD), offers an advanced fire and hotspot detection solution in various environments, such as data centers, tunnels, battery manufacturing facilities, warehouses, and more. Unlike traditional systems, FO LHD continuously monitors temperature along an asset using a single optical fiber, pinpointing hotspots or fires precisely within a 3-meter zone. It achieves this by emitting laser pulses and measuring the returning light's arrival time, enabling real-time monitoring.
FO LHD provides numerous advantages:
- Extended Coverage: It offers cost-effective monitoring of large areas without needing multiple sensors or manual inspection, and it is not limited by cable length, ensuring reliable monitoring over long distances.
- High Sensitivity and Resolution: FO LHD accurately detects subtle temperature changes, enabling early intervention and fire prevention.
- Precise Event Localization: It precisely pinpoints temperature changes and fire events, minimizing false alarms and facilitating rapid responses.
- Versatility in Harsh Environments: FO LHD is immune to electromagnetic interference, is certified for explosive environments, and can withstand challenging conditions like dirt, dust, and extreme temperatures.
- Integration and Communication: It seamlessly integrates with existing alarm systems, triggering automatic countermeasures, and provides detailed information on fire location, size, and spread through relay and Modbus communication protocols.
- Low Maintenance: FO LHD systems require minimal maintenance, and the certified fiber optic cables have a long lifespan, ensuring reliable performance for up to 30 years.
In summary, FO LHD technology offers continuous and precise fire and hotspot detection in various applications, providing a cost-effective, maintenance-free, and highly adaptable solution for critical asset protection.