SFPE Foundation Announces Seven Recipients of Annual Awards
Albert Simeoni, Erik Smedberg, Haavard Boehmer, Michael S. Klassen, Stephen M. Olenick, Iffah Umairah Zulmajdi, and Hafizha Mulyasih celebrated for their contributions
AUGUST 2, 2022: GAITHERSBURG, Maryland – The SFPE Foundation, a charitable organization focused on enhancing the scientific understanding of fire and its interaction with the natural and built environment, is pleased to celebrate the seven recipients of its 2022 awards, as follows:
- Albert Simeoni, Ph.D.: Professor and Department Head, Department of Fire Protection Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, USA – presented the Arthur B. Guise Medal, endowed by R. Keith Guise, for his eminent achievement in the advancement of the science and technology by connecting wildland fire science and fire safety science to better address wildland fire threats as a component of fire protection engineering practice.
- Erik Smedberg: Ph.D. Student, Division of Fire Safety Engineering, Lund University, Sweden – presented the Dr. Guylène Proulx, OC Scholarship, for his undertaking of research in the field of human factors and human behavior related to fire or emergencies, specific to the investigation of how exit choice is influenced by the presence of people with mobility limitations.
- Haavard Boehmer, P.E.; Michael S. Klassen, Ph.D., P.E.; and Stephen M. Olenick, P.E., MBA: presented the Jack Bono Award for Engineering Communication, endowed by UL Research Institutes, in recognition of the advancement and application of professional fire protection engineering through their article, “Fire Hazard Analysis of Modern Vehicles in Parking Facilities,” in the September 2021 issue of Fire Technology.
- Iffah Umairah Zulmajdi: Ph.D. Candidate, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Malaysia – presented the Student Scholar Award, for her research into the fire simulation assessment of residential compartment fire scenarios to advance the science and practice of fire protection engineering.
- Hafizha Mulyasih, S.T., M.T., Universitas Indonesia, Indonesia – presented the Frederick W. Mowrer Global Scholar Award, endowed by Kathleen Almand, for her contribution to the development of fire protection expertise in countries with rapidly expanding infrastructure through her research into the study of peat smoldering combustion and suppression methods in Southeast Asia.
“In an industry with so many talented individuals working to advance our life-saving work, it is important to pause and to celebrate the accomplishments of these individuals who have done – and continue to do – so much to enhance the scientific understanding of fire and its interaction with the natural and built environment,” stated Leslie Marshall, Ph.D., Director, SFPE Foundation. “On behalf of the SFPE Foundation Board of Governors, we are so pleased to congratulate and to celebrate our seven 2022 award recipients.”
The awards will be presented by Peter Senez, Chair, SFPE Foundation Board of Governors, during the SFPE Annual Conference & Expo in Detroit, MI, USA, on October 12-14, 2022; registration for the conference is available at sfpe.org/annual22. Nominations for the SFPE Foundation’s 2023 awards will be solicited in early 2023.
Additional information about the SFPE Foundation, its programs, and the 2022 award recipients is available at sfpe.org/foundation.
# # #
About the SFPE Foundation:
Established in 1979, the SFPE Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization focused on enhancing the scientific understanding of fire and its interaction with the natural and built environment through strategic investments in students, research, and knowledge transfer. Learn more at sfpe.org/foundation.
Michael S. Klassen
Stephen M. Olenick
Iffah Umairah Zulmajdi
SFPE Foundation media contact:
Director, Community Engagement, Marketing, and Communications